Home ยป Temporary residents can now change their sex identifiers on Canadian immigration documents

Temporary residents can now change their sex identifiers on Canadian immigration documents

by admin

The immigration department is modernizing its records as part of Canada’s mandate to protect and promote the human rights of LGBTQ2+ persons.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) now allows temporary citizens to change their gender or sex identifier in their immigration documents, according to the government site.

Those who would like to change their sex in their immigration records can only do so as long as their newspapers aren’t historical records. These records include immigration records and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) documents. These cannot be altered unless a clerical or administrative error was created.

Find Out if You’re Eligible for Canadian Immigration

How can I request a reversal of my sex or sex identifier?

If you’d like to change your gender or sex in your IRCC documents, you want to submit a Request Form for a reversal of Gender or Sex Identifier, which will be available on the government website.

Once you send in your petition, IRCC may also contact you for additional files, or to set your identity.

What if I am under 18?

If you’re under 18 and would like to change your gender or gender identifier, you’ll need a parent or legal guardian to sign the request form with you. They’ll also be required to prove they are really your parent or lawful guardian.

What documents can I request that the shift for?

You will be required to submit a request form to IRCC.

your Certificate of Canadian Citizenship;

Your Temporary Resident Document (like a visitor visa or research or work permit);

Your file issued to a Protected Person; or

Your Refugee Protection Claimant Document.

Successful refugee claimants and pre-removal risk assessment applicants may decide to change their gender or gender identifier on their verification of standing (VOS). This is a record that proves your status as a protected person. In case you have already received a VOS document, you can ask for a new one containing your right gender or sex identifier.

IRCC will still consider your application, even if your overseas passport and supporting documents indicate another gender.

You won’t be able to change your sex or sex identifier on an electronic travel authorization (eTA). This is because this document is electronically linked with your passport. IRCC does not provide a hard copy of the eTA.

0 comment

Related Posts

Leave a Comment